A DOUBLE size FIRM bed base, which sits on the bedstead frame to give solid support to all top quality mattresses.
Suitable for all types of beds including antique and modern, as a superior alternative to bed slats.
- Available in five different depths as standard (2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 inches).
- Non-sprung, so the overall comfort feel is entirely determined by the mattress.
- Covered in a choice of two 100% cotton materials.
- Double bases are constructed in two halves, which are folded together for ease of transport and access into the room.
- 6 inch deep bases are made in two separate halves, which are linked.
- The top surface is perforated and the underside is covered in a woven material, to allow air to circulate under the mattress and to dissipate moisture.
- Bases which are 3 inches (7cm) or deeper have chamfered corners (see photograph), so the base rises above any protusions at the end of the bed runners (e.g. bolts).
All our bases are made to order and normally take around 2 weeks to be dispatched.
Bed Base Sizes
Bed Base Depths
STANDARD DOUBLE - 4ft 6in x 6ft 3in or 135 x 190cm
SMALL DOUBLE - 4ft x 6ft 3in or 120 x 190cm
We list bases sizes in both Imperial (feet and inches) and Metric (cm). They are very similar, but not exact equivalents, and in most cases it won't matter which you choose. Please ask if you need advice on which is best for you.
If you are ordering a base for your own bed please check carefully the measurements needed. Antique beds are often shorter than modern beds so take extra care when measuring the length required - please contact us for advice on how to measure your bed for a base.
Seventh Heaven can cater for all size bed bases and also cut-outs and curves. Please contact us for a quote.
Bed Base Fitting
To choose the depth you need for your bed think about how high you would like the mattress from the floor. Antique beds tend to have higher frames and the overall height of the mattress can be as much as 28 to 30 inches, whereas modern beds can be a little lower.
You also need to consider how the mattress will look against the headboard and footboard. You don't want to swamp them by having the mattress too high, but equally you don't want the mattress too low for the overall look of the bed.
If you are choosing a bed from Seventh Heaven we will supply you with a base of the correct depth. Equally if you are choosing a base for your own bed we can advise which depth is suitable for you. Please contact us.
The depth of the base does not affect the support of the mattress, so a 2 inch deep base and a 6 inch deep base provide the same support.
Bed bases normally sit on the side runners of the bedstead frame. To secure the base in place on the bed plastic blocks are attached on the underside of the base in the four corners, so they butt up against the side runners. The weight of the mattress then keeps the base securely in position.
Please view the video below for guidance: